It is good practice to start with an Export to have the correct header information. The id and type columns need to be there in any case. For all three actions, you have a test mode available which won't change any data but gives you feedback on your input file. Further, as indicated in the screenshot, the opportunity to download the import result exists.
The XLS export allows to select the columns you want to export explicitly. In the Inventory, use the Button on the top right to switch to the table view.
The column selector on the right-hand side now lets you choose exactly what columns to display. In the "Actions" section on the top-right, you'll find the option to "Export" the selected Fact Sheets and Columns.
You can choose between an XLSX or PDF/PNG export.
Important: Read the Readme!
When preparing the file for import, please make sure you go through the Readme tab of the exported Excel file. The Readme tab contains important information, including forbidden characters, or what can and cannot be imported via Excel, for each of the Fact Sheet types.
Once your file is ready, go to the Inventory and choose "Import" on the top right. A dialogue will open to prompt the following actions:
- Update: If the ID of a Fact Sheet is given, all changes in the Excel-File are treated as updates
- Create: In case no ID is given, LeanIX will create a new Fact Sheet
- Delete: In case a column action is given with a string "delete" (see below), LeanIX will delete the Fact Sheet
If there is a single error in the imported data, no data is written at all, even for rows where there is no error. Make sure to correct all errors to successfully execute an import.
Only the first Fact Sheet will be deleted - all other Fact Sheets will be updated (if there is any change).
Common caveats and how to address them
Hierarchy cannot be imported: Check if the level of hierarchies is set appropriately (go to Administration - Configuration and edit the Fact Sheet Settings for your Fact Sheet)
Parent cannot be found. When creating hierarchies, you have two options:
- Use separate upload steps per hierarchy level, e.g. one XLS for Level 1, one XLS for Level 2 and so on. By this, you can always use the Test Mode to check the correctness before importing the data
- In case you feel confident, sort the rows by hierarchy level in the same XLS.
Relation cannot be imported
- Check that you use the correct display name of the referenced fact sheet
- In case of 1:n or n:m relations, check that the display names are separated by ";"
Tags are not imported
- For Tag Groups, there are separate columns, with one column "Other Tags" for the remaining tags. Make sure that all Tag Group columns are contained in the import, as the results won't be consistent otherwise
- If Tags of a certain tag group are not imported, make sure that the tag group already exists (Administration - Tagging)
Lifecycles are not imported
- For Lifecycles, there are separate columns as well. Make sure that all Lifecycle columns are contained in the import.
We made lifecycle handling more strict in Pathfinder. Two phases cannot start at the same day. Please make sure your import file reflects this.
- Responsibilities are not imported
- For Responsibilies, there are separate columns as well. Make sure that all Responsibilities columns are contained in the import, as an error will occur otherwise.
Issues during import
In a very few cases the import of data into LeanIX might be slowed down or not possible. In this case please check whether an SSL inspection is activated in your organizations proxy. When (temporarily) disabling the proxy inspection for the importing process, the import runs in a timely manner again.
Errors can occur when an existing Fact Sheet is updated manually in the tool while an upload via Excel containing the same Fact Sheet is happening at the same time (causing a "deadlock").
Solution: Try to upload the Excel file at a time where little traffic is happening in the workspace.
The import can also be used to delete Fact Sheets. To do so, create an import XLS and add a column “Action” on the right next to the other data of the import file. Next, put a “delete” in each row for the Fact Sheets that shall be deleted.
We recommend making sure that the Fact Sheets have an existing ID and run the import in a test mode first. That will give you an indication of the number of Fact Sheets that will be deleted.
LeanIX offers Best Practice Posters to help you quickly create various types of Fact Sheets. Use the Best Practice Posters for Business Capabilities and Technology Stack to quickly enable the Applications Landscape and IT Component Landscape views.
Best Practice Posters include:
Please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or [email protected] to get a predefined Excel-File to upload to your Workspace
Updated about a month ago